How to Apply
When to apply
- Fall Admission: Apply Oct. 1 through Aug. 1. Applications are due Aug. 1.
- Spring Admission: Apply April 1 through Feb. 1. Applications are due Feb. 1.
How to apply
Submit an online application to the UCR Graduate Division. Under the program, select “Creative Writing Palm Desert Low Residency.”
Completing your application includes submitting:
- An application fee
- A statement of purpose
- A personal history statement
- A 25-page writing sample for your intended major (fiction, playwriting, poetry, nonfiction, or screenwriting). Your writing sample must be for your major. Do not send work outside of your intended major. A faculty committee will read your submission. It will be evaluated on the grounds of quality, originality, academic prowess, and creative potential.
- Three letters of recommendation. Non-academic recommendations are accepted. Your referrers will submit their letters of recommendation for you online, after you submit your application.
- Original transcripts from all institutions. You should mail these. Your transcripts are the only material that may arrive after the deadline.
Mail your transcripts directly to:
Palm Desert MFA
UCR Palm Desert Center
75-080 Frank Sinatra Drive
Palm Desert, CA 92211