Fees and Financial Aid

Home/Fees and Financial Aid

Residency and Tuition Costs

Students are required to enroll in 8 units per quarter for seven quarters. Current tuition costs are $917.00/unit and there are no additional fees for out-of-state students.  The fee includes accommodation for nine nights per residency, which also includes breakfast and lunch. Residencies are held at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa in Rancho Mirage, just miles from Palm Springs. All students are required to stay at the resort. SA.

Tuition per quarter: $7,336.00

*Please note: Students have to complete a total of five residencies and seven quarters of instruction in order to fulfill the program requirements.

Awards & Fellowships:  The Low Residency MFA offers several awards for incoming and new students. Visit our award page.

Deferred Payment Plan

A deferred payment plan is available to students who wish to pay fees and tuition in three monthly installments each quarter.

The DPP program may cover the difference between fees and tuition and any grants, scholarships, waivers, or loans credited towards fees for the quarter. DPP is not available to cover UCR Extension or summer session courses. There is an application fee for participation in this program.

For more information on the deferred payment program and an application, contact the Student Business Services Office.

Payment of Fees

Tuition and fees can be paid through your UCR student R' Web account, or be paid by mail or in person at: University of California, Riverside, Main Cashier's Office, 900 University Avenue, Student Service Building, Riverside, California 92521.

Applying for Financial Aid

UCR accepts applications on a year-round basis. Students are encouraged to apply early in order to ensure adequate processing time for loan funds to be available by the fee payment deadlines. View financial aid website for more information.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To be considered for federal, state, or institutional financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You can submit the FAFSA starting January 1 for the next academic year.

Receiving your Awards

You must meet the following requirements in order for your awards to be disbursed:

  • Accept your awards on line on R’ Web.
  • Submit all paperwork required to accept your award, including completion of any electronic loan promissory notes.
  • Enroll in classes.
  • Complete pre-loan counseling if you are a new loan borrower.
  • Pay any past due charges on your student account to the Cashier’s Office.
  • Make arrangements to clear any holds set on your student account (refer to the hold notice sent to you by the Registrar’s Office).

The method and time of disbursement varies depending on the type of financial aid that you are receiving.

If the balance of the amount disbursed is greater than the amount of your current charges, the Student Business Services Office will issue you a refund. You may receive your financial aid refund as a direct deposit into your personal checking or savings account by signing up for this option with Student Business Services.

If you choose to receive your refund in a paper check, it will be mailed to you beginning on the first day of the quarter.