M.F.A. students emphasizing in fiction are expected to compile a significant amount of both creative and academic writings, and are encouraged to finish a full manuscript.
Fiction majors complete:
- A thesis with a minimum of 120 pages (though we encourage students to complete an actual full manuscript, which is typically in excess of 200 pages).
- An extensive study of craft and literature — read approximately 10–15 books per quarter and write several critical papers a month.
- Accompanied by extensive lectures both online and during residency.
- Reading list is devised in consultation with your professor and also contains works that correlate directly with your creative aims.
- All students lecture during their final residency on a topic relevant to their course of study as part of their Professional Development curriculum.
- Each student writes three longer critical works — two 10-page papers and one 20-page paper — based on an area of interest in their cumulative readings, creative work and outside study.