Interested in Applying?
We offer admission to the M.F.A. program in the fall and spring only. Applicants must apply online.
Deadlines: August 1st for fall admission (beginning October 1st of same calendar year) and February 1st for spring admission (beginning April 1st of same calendar year).
To apply, students will submit:
- Online application to the UCR Graduate Division. Under program, select Creative Writing Palm Desert Low Residency
- Disclaimer with appropriate fee (by credit card).
- Statement of purpose.
- Personal history.
- Writing sample (25 page writing sample of fiction, playwriting, poetry, nonfiction, or screenwriting). Writing sample must only be for your selected major. Do not send work outside your intended course of major study.
- Three letters of recommendation (non-academic recommendations accepted).
- Transcripts (original transcripts from all institutions).
- Note: Letters of recommendation are submitted online by referrers after submission of your online application. Transcripts may arrive after the deadline date. Creative samples and entrance essays must be submitted by the cut-off dates. GRE is not required.
All materials are submitted electronically, except for original transcripts, which must be sent via mail. Submissions will be read by a faculty committee and will be evaluated on the grounds of quality, originality, academic prowess and creative potential.