M.F.A. students emphasizing in poetry complete a collection of poetry as well as take part in an intensive critical study of the form.
Poetry majors complete:
- A thesis of 48–60 pages comprising a complete book or chapbook of poetry (a complete manuscript is recommended).
- Form and style of poetry is entirely up to the writer.
- An extensive study of craft and literature — approximately 10-15 books per quarter and several critical papers per month.
- Accompanied by extensive lectures, both online and during residency.
- Reading list devised in consultation with your professor based on the literature directly related to your creative aims.
- All students lecture during their final residency on a topic relevant to their course of study as part of their Professional Development curriculum.
- Topic will reflect course of study, creative work or area of interest and usually be reflective of their cumulative critical papers.
- Each student writes three longer critical works — two 10 page papers and one 20 page paper — based on an area of interest in their cumulative readings, creative work, and outside study.